Monday, March 10, 2008

It's Blue!

I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. The Boy bought it for me with a gift certificate for Best Buy he had wrangled from his office. Best Buy had red, yellow, blue, and black in stock. I got black.

Why? Um, I'm not too sure. I think I had grown so used to kitchen things being white, black, or chrome that my mind shut down in the presence of alternatives. I also knew I wasn't going to redo my light blue and green kitchen around a primary color, so black it was. Coordinating kitchen appliances to tea towels and wall color was not in my price range. (Now, of course, I am eyeballing the Smeg refrigerators and the Elmira line. Which are still out of my price range.)

But I am not tossing a perfectly good mixer for the sake of my color sense. Besides, Kitchen Aid stopped making the baby blue color, drat them. Sooooooo . . . I traipsed off to the hardware store and bought enamel spray paint in a pretty blue color and whipped out my masking tape. Ta da! It went so well that I even snapped up a retro bread box (which only seems to come in pink or red) and painted it as well. Now I have a lovely matching kitchen and I can feel my microwave getting nervous every time I walk by with a paint can.

Note: If you are going to try this at home, make sure you tape over the vent on the back of your mixer. You really don't want to get spray paint on the motor. Then, after the second coat of paint is dry and all the masking tape is off, spray some paint onto a paper plate or something and paint the vent grill with a brush. The breadbox was much easier. No moving parts.

No comments: