Friday, February 15, 2008

Artist Roundup!

I must say I had a very satisfactory Valentine's Day. The Boy took me to a lovely romantic dinner at a French restaurant and then to the theater for a performance of Cirque du Soleil. I had never seen them live, and it was beautiful. . .although I do think the song lyrics may owe some small debt of inspiration to an overindulgence of cough syrup. I hope all of you had a wonderful time as well, or at least made it through without incident.

I wanted to show you some artists that I have been keeping my eye on. First is Blaine Fontana, who has a very well-designed website and a graffiti-meets-classical-technique style that I love. This is one of my favorites.



You may have seen Irene Suchocki's work already as she has been featured on several design blogs (I wish I could remember exactly where I saw her linked from!) She is absolutely worth a second round of mentions. Her photos are simply amazing -- she has an incredible eye for composition. They remind me of traveling in Germany when I was young.


If you're in the mood for something a little NSFW, check out Symon Chow's burlesque sideshow images. Rrrrrr. He has some very well done image manipulations as well. Either that or he has the world's largest porcupine made into a hat.


I've been watching Jonathan Wayshak for a few years, and his macabre, sketchy style just keeps getting better. He has a massive online portfolio that you can happily spend hours poking around in.



No list of my favorite artists would be complete without Phil Borges and his breathtaking portraiture. I was watching Kundun a few days ago and I was reminded of his work with displaced Tibetans. The personal stories of the monks and nuns caught up in the struggle are truly profound.

No comments: